At BounceTogether, we believe that investing in mental health and wellbeing is a vital step towards creating a positive and inclusive learning environment. Having a dedicated Senior Mental Health Lead can make a significant impact on your school community, ensuring the wellbeing of students and staff.
What is the role of a Senior Mental Health Lead?
The Senior Mental Health Lead is responsible for creating a comprehensive whole-school approach to supporting mental health and wellbeing. They play a pivotal role in championing efforts to promote and support mental health, driving strategic change to deliver an effective approach in your school or college.
A Senior Mental Health Lead focuses on developing policies, procedures, and systems to support mental wellbeing. They foster an open culture that encourages staff and students alike to discuss their mental health and wellbeing openly. They are instrumental in promoting good mental health and emotional wellbeing among all members of the school community.
What are the learning outcomes of the Senior Mental Health Lead training?
The training for Senior Mental Health Leads aims to equip them with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to effectively implement a whole-school approach to mental health and wellbeing. The learning outcomes encompass various essential aspects:
- Increased understanding of your school's current and desired position regarding mental health strategy and wellbeing, with a focus on strategic change and implementation.
- Enhanced ability to identify and plan appropriate responses to pupils' and students' mental health and wellbeing needs, ensuring timely support and intervention.
- Knowledge of available mental health support resources, enabling the Senior Mental Health Lead to guide students in seeking help when needed.
- Development of a positive school culture that promotes inclusion, respect, and values diversity, contributing to improved attendance, achievement, and attainment.
- Heightened awareness of staff wellbeing, as well as that of students, ensuring a supportive and nurturing learning environment for all.
- Empowerment of student voice and influence, allowing each learner's perspective to be heard, valued, and actively incorporated in decision-making processes.
- Collaboration with parents, families, and carers, fostering a unified team that works together to support students with consistent approaches and shared goals.
How can Senior Mental Health Lead training benefit your school?
Implementing a whole-school approach to mental health and creating an open culture within your educational setting can be a transformational journey. The presence of a trained Senior Mental Health Lead brings numerous benefits, including:
- An Inclusive Environment: Your school community will feel safe and supported, knowing that mental health and wellbeing are taken seriously and nurtured.
- Timely Support: With an expert Lead, early signs of mental health needs in students can be identified and addressed, ensuring timely intervention and support.
- Resourceful Guidance: The Senior Mental Health Lead can provide students and staff with information on available mental health support resources, both in-school and beyond.
- Policy Implementation: Developing and implementing mental health policies becomes smoother and more effective with a dedicated Lead driving the process.
- Empowered Staff: Staff members will feel confident and capable of recognising and supporting students' mental health needs, contributing to a positive learning experience.
How can you get started and claim the funding?
To access this valuable funding opportunity, visit the Department for Education website at www.gov.uk/guidance/senior-mental-health-lead-training. Eligible schools and colleges can apply for the Senior Mental Health Lead training grant to commence training by 31st March 2024.
The grants provided can cover or contribute to the cost of attending a quality-assured course. Additionally, schools can utilise the funding to hire supply staff while the Leads engage in their learning.
Acting now to claim this funding and training opportunity can be a game-changer for your school's wellbeing initiatives. Remember, investing in mental health and wellbeing is a crucial step in creating a thriving and supportive learning environment.
Your commitment to mental health and wellbeing matters, and we're here to support you every step of the way. If you have any questions or need guidance on how to access this funding, feel free to reach out to our dedicated team at BounceTogether.
Contact us - Here